Next Tuesday is International Women’s Day (IWD) and I hope you will come along to the Council Chambers in Scone for a social evening discussing women in leadership.
I and my councillor colleagues, Lee Watts and Deirdre Peebles, will be giving a short presentation about our experiences of being in local government. Between the three of us that adds up to more than half a century of experiences!
The free event for men and women will start at 6pm Tuesday March 8.
There will also be an IWD dinner in Murrurundi the evening before and a morning tea in Merriwa at the CWA Rooms. To find out more contact Council on 6540 1100.
At an Extraordinary Council Meeting last Monday morning, Council finalised their submission to RMS on the current concept design and review of environmental factors, rejecting the current design. Council also resolved to send a delegation to meet with State and Federal Ministers with their concerns. Council’s major issues are:
1. The concept plans do not meet all the proposal objectives, including unimpeded access for Emergency Services during the years the bypass is being built and improved urban amenity in Scone.
2. Poor connectivity from Scone on and off the bypass
3. Proposed speed is too high – prefer 80kph speed limit
4. The impact on local businesses and tourism.
5. The proposal does not reduce the impact of heavy traffic travelling through the township and in particular the CBD area.
6. The negative impacts on the environment, including noise and visual impacts and the impact on local heritage
7. Poor options for the rail overpass.
8. Lack of discussions on what compensation Council will receive for use of land and impact on township.
Clean Up Australia
This Sunday is the next Clean Up Australia Day.
Council has organised community events in Merriwa, Murrurundi and Scone however there is nothing to stop your sporting or social club having your own clean up around your club house or sports fields.
If you do, please register your Clean Up with Council’s Manager Community Services, Kerri Cone, on 6541 1141 for insurance purposes.
As an extra ‘clean up’ incentive Council is offering each Upper Hunter Shire household one free rubbish drop off at Waste Depots in Aberdeen, Murrurundi, Merriwa and Scone on Sunday 6 March 2016 and at Cassilis on Saturday 5 March 2016, during the normal opening hours.
Calling all pig dogs owners
Aberdeen Vet & Pet Centre do a terrific job and Council has joined forces with them to host an Open Day on Saturday 12 March 2016 from 9am to 2pm.
Come down anytime and get some free dog goodies, vouchers for desexing, microchipping and vaccinations, and a sausage sizzle for the humans.
There will be expert advice and information about symptoms and treatment of various dog diseases.
This day will be of particular interest to owners of pig dogs and there will be pig dog gear for sale.