It was a case of ‘get on and ride’ in Merriwa over the weekend - and over 250 kids did just that.
They came from Bungendore to Bunnan and beyond to take part in the St Joseph’s Merriwa Parents and Friends Junior Campdraft and Fete on Saturday.
While the school may only have 75 students, it had the whole community behind it to ensure the event was another great success.
“Our community is amazing; so many people have helped with prizes and donations from our local hair dresser and doctor to the tyre service, egg farm, butcher, clothing shop, grocery store and rural traders,” school principal Helen Whale said.
“Our families have also all played a part whether helping with the draft, loading cattle, driving a truck to making amazing cakes and cookies.
“I want to thank everyone who has helped behind the scenes, from the fete organisers and riders that travelled from far and wide to our major sponsors the Martin Group of Companies, who provided the cattle.
“But most of all I want to thank our students who have all been involved with great enthusiasm.”
Mrs Whale said the junior campdraft and fete had raised over $50,000 for the school in the last five years used to purchase school resources, playground equipment and other education materials.
For many ‘non horsie’ students, the highlight of the day was the fete, with teacher Miss Paige Farrow this year’s únlucky’ winner of the ‘Kiss the Pig’ competition.
The hobby horse races brought in another great crowd with many fabulously decorated hobby horses in the line up once more.
In the horse events, many local riders took out major prizes in the sporting, campdraft and cut out events capping off another near perfect event for the local school.
- 17 and under 21 Campdraft - 1st Justin Gillis on Vale, equal 2nd Anastasia Martin on Comedy, 2nd Emily Moore on Bart, and 2nd Joshua Gray on Baroness and 5th on Chelsea.
- 15 and under 17 Campdraft – 1st Chloe Atfield on Spina CD, equal 2nd Cameron Ninness on Acres of Chrome, 2nd Hamish Cameron on Bronte, equal 4th Cameron Ninness on Personlity and 4th Chloe Atfield on CutnDuck.
- 13 and under 15 Campdraft – 1st Jorja Edwards on Acres Liberty Beau, 2nd Kate Schiffman on Tassa Covergirl, 3rd Hamish Edmonds on Electric Kelly, 4th Millie Tarrant on Misty and 5th Clancy Moore on Hazlewood Lippy.
- 11 and under 13 Campdraft – 1st and 2nd Emily Ninness on Tristeys Cameo and Acres of Chrome, 3rd and equal 4th Tamika Edwards and Acres Liberty Beau and Liberty Lace, and 4th Sarah Schiffman on Tassas Covergirl.
- 8 and under 11 Campdraft – 1st Hayden Whatham on Melody, 2nd Travis Sansom on Diva, 3rd Ally Taylor on Fancy N Who, 4th Lachlan Sansom on Dusty, and 5th Jorji Taaffe on Belle.
- 8 and under 13 Cutout – 1st Josie Porter on Glimmer, 2nd Mikayla Edwards on Honey, 3rd Josie Porter on Porters Drovers Run, 4th Roy Lawler on Ballet, and 5th Tim Caslick on Tocal Elly.
Junior Family Draft – 1st Team Young; 2nd Team Clare, 3rd Team Martin, 4th Team Mobberly and equal Team Sanson, Ninness, Atfield and Schiffman.
Family Cutout 8 and under 13 – 1st Team Porter, 2nd Team Turner, 3rd Team Young, equal 4th Team Sanson and Team Peel.
Champion Junior Stockrider – Sarah Schiffman of Gunnedah.
Champion Senior Stockrider – Anastasia Martin of Merriwa.
Highest Scoring Local – 1st Cameron Ninness and Hamish Cameron.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.