THERE is still time to nominate a hard working person that makes our community great for a 2019 Upper Hunter Shire Australia Day award.
Each year dozens of individuals and organisations are recognised for their achievements and contributions to the community.
Nominating is a simple way to thank and acknowledge generous and inspiring people.
Upper Hunter Shire Citizen of the Year 2018 Linda Gant of Cassilis said there are many citizens worthy of being nominated for an Australia Day Award.
“Being nominated for an Australia Day Award, that acknowledged my work co-ordinating the catering for the BlazeAid Camp at Cassilis for four months, was a great honour,” she said.
“Besides being a great honour for me personally, I felt it allowed others who had been involved in the BlazeAid Camp to be recognised for their efforts as well.”
Awards will be presented at Australia Day celebrations in Scone, Cassilis (Merriwa awards), Aberdeen and Murrurundi on Saturday January 26 2019, and all nominees are recognised during the ceremonies for their achievements and contributions.
Awards available in each of the four districts are:
· Community Group of the Year.
· Citizen of the Year awarded to a person or a couple, who are inspirational role models and have made significant contributions to the community
· Young Citizen of the Year is open to a resident under the age of 25 years (as at 26 January 2018)
· Achiever and Young Achiever are open to residents who are inspirational achievers in any field including sport, culture, environment, professional or schooling.
· In Merriwa only, there are also awards for Sustainability in Business and Environmental Achievement.
The Upper Hunter Shire Australia Day Citizen of the Year and Young Citizen, are chosen from the town winners.
Nomination forms are available at all Upper Hunter Shire Council Administration Offices, Shire Libraries, and they can be downloaded or submitted online from Council’s website at http://upperhunter.nsw.gov.au/our-shire/events/australia-day.aspx
Nominations close Friday November 9 2018 but the Australia Day Committees will still accept nominations put in online over the weekend.