Dr Judy White, OAM, of Belltrees, officially opened the new White Park Arena last weekend.
The ribbon cutting echoed a ceremony performed back in 1924, when Mr A.G. White officially gifted the paddock that was to become White Park to the community.
The new arena was designed to fill the gap in the equine sports facilities in the region and complement surrounding facilities in the lower Hunter and Tamworth.
Undercover seating for 2865 people beneath the 90m x 60m roof offers reasonable capacity for an affordable price.
Upper Hunter Shire Council thanks the Australian and NSW governments for the funding and the user groups who served on the management committee, some of whom displayed their riding skills at the opening.
After years of planning by the White Park Management Committee, construction of the White Park Recreation and Equine Facility Development Stage 1 began at the end of 2017.
Funded by Upper Hunter Shire Council and the NSW and Australian governments from the Restart NSW Hunter Infrastructure and Investment Fund, Stronger Country Communities (DPC NSW) and Tourism Demand Driver Infrastructure Program - NSW Department of Industry. The majority of the funding came from the NSW Government through a $1.47 million contribution from the Restart NSW Hunter Infrastructure and Investment Fund.
Council also successfully obtained a grant of $124,360 towards seating at White Park from the Tourism Demand-Driver Infrastructure (TDDI) program, an Australian Government funded initiative administered by the NSW Government to support tourism projects that drive demand and increase local tourism expenditure. Additional seating for the grandstand came from the NSW Government’s Stronger Country Communities Fund with $139,280 in funding.
The new White Park facility builds on the Upper Hunter Shire’s standing as the Horse Capital of Australia.
To book an event at White Park, please contact Council’s Infrastructure Services Department on 6540 1100 during business hours.