A man charged with the alleged murder of Wellington man, Frank Smith has fronted court. Aaron Hegedus, 31, appeared before Dubbo Local Court where he did not apply for bail. About 4.30pm on April 27, 2020, police were called to Wellington Base Hospital after a man presented with a gunshot wound to his abdomen. Despite the efforts of hospital staff, the man was unable to be revived. Initial inquiries began by officers from Orana Mid-Western Police District before detectives from the State Crime Command's Homicide Squad took carriage of the investigation under Strike Force Libani. Police said they believed Mr Smith may have been shot on Reid Street before collapsing in the front yard of a home on Thornton Street, before he was driven to the hospital by a neighbour. Earlier this year, following extensive inquires and appeals, investigators recovered a firearm which was ballistically linked to the murder of Mr Smith. Hegedus was arrested outside the KFC in Wellington on Gisborne Street shortly before 11am on Wednesday. He was taken to Wellington Police Station where overnight he was charged with murder. Homicide Squad Detective Inspector Virginia Gorman said inquiries into the alleged murder were ongoing, but its alleged Hegedus was known to Mr Smith. "During the last 18 months police have forensically examined numerous items - including the firearm used in this murder - which enabled us to reach this point," she said. "I would like to thank the Wellington community for their assistance throughout this investigation. Their information led investigators to establish some strong lines of inquiry which police continue to follow." Inspector Gorman is appealing to anyone with information to contact police. "I'm hopeful the arrest brings some comfort to those who knew and loved Frank, however, our investigations into this shooting are ongoing and I urge anyone with information to come forward," Det Insp Gorman said. Hegedus remains in custody and the matter will return to court in January next year.