RISING star Cade Cust will make his debut in the Holden Cup for Manly against the New Zealand Warriors this weekend.
The former Scone junior has been promoted to the Sea Eagles’ under-20s side after impressing in the SG Ball.
He said it was an exciting opportunity.
“The nerves haven't kicked in yet but I'm sure they will be there by game day,” he said.
“Having the game in New Zealand just adds to the excitement.”
At just 17 years of age, Cust said a full preseason under his belt had helped both mentally and physically.
He spent the summer training four days a week, completing gym work, and starting the HSC.
Despite making a number of adjustments on and off the field, the talented play maker continues to improve his game.
“I was mainly a running half growing up but, after moving to Manly, I have focused on enhancing my control over the game as a dominant halfback,” he said.
“Another major adjustment has been leaving home, moving in with a great family, leaving all my friends, and starting a new school in Year 12.
Cust said he was content with his progress so far, but had set his sights on reaching the NRL within the next two years.
“My progress has come a long way since starting in the under-16s for Manly and I am really happy with how my journey has been,” he said.
“I know that the goal of making it to the NRL is a long way away but I’m definitely heading in the right direction.”
This Saturday’s match will kick-off at 3.15pm at Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland.
Manly under-20s squad for round six of the Holden Cup:
1. Jayden El-Jalkh 2. Mitch Thomas 3. Jesse Ramien 4. Brad Parker 5. Harlan Collins 6. Nicholas Hynes 7. Cade Cust 8. Elia Faatui9. Heath Garay 10. Darcy Cox 11. Billy Bainbridge 12. Lucas Price 13. John Walker.
Interchange: 14. Jon Bernard Kairouz 15. Joshua Martin 16. Moses Noovao-McGreal 17. John Tuivaii 21. Hutana Coffin 19. Jake Morrison.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.