THE Bureau of Meteorology is warning residents of the Upper Hunter, and some parts of the Mid-North Coast, that thunderstorms could bring large hailstones and damaging winds to the region on Wednesday afternoon.
Meteorologists are forecasting that areas near Scone, Muswellbrook, Singleton, Cessnock, Maitland and Gosford may be affected by severe weather.
Newcastle and Port Stephens have not been included in the warning.
However, areas of Lake Macquarie may be impacted.
Parts of Sydney and the Central Tablelands may also be affected.
The warning was issued by the BOM at 3.30pm on Wednesday.
It said people should be prepared for storms to hit “over the next several” hours.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
- Move cars away from trees.
- Secure or put away loose items in yards or on balconies.
- Keep at least eight metres away from fallen power lines
- Unplug computers and appliances.
- Avoid using phones during the storm.
- Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.